Software Engineer - Algorithm Performance | Canberra, ACT
|Position Type:||Full Time|
|Attachments:||No File Attached|
|Application Close Date:||17-Dec-2019|
Seeing Machines is a world leader in human machine interaction. We are engaged on a multitude of technology programs at the forefront of innovation, being delivered by highly skilled engineers and scientists. Our driver monitoring technology needs to be validated to ensure the performance meets the expectations of our customers. We are seeking Software Engineers – Algorithm Performance to drive the performance validation process.
About the opportunity
You will work within a small and dedicated team of software engineers to support the validation of computer vision algorithms. This team analyses algorithm signals, develops performance metrics and reporting tools to measure the accuracy and precision of the driver monitoring system, to ensure it meets the requirements for release to internal and external customers. You will also manage and curate large data sets used to measure the performance of the systems. Specifically, your role involves:
- Technical development across the algorithm performance reporting team to deliver continual algorithm / system performance feedback.
- Analyse requirements, in collaboration with Product Development Leads, translating them into performance metrics.
- Introduce and implement appropriate analysis methods and performance metrics to continually improve the coverage of algorithm performance.
- Provide hands-on, quantitative data analysis to obtain better insight into algorithm performance.
- Develop and enhance the bespoke core data analysis library and reporting framework (Python implementation)
- Develop systems to warehouse and manage test data sets (including specification and management of meta data and ground truth data), stored locally and in the Cloud.
- Identify performance gaps and work with the algorithms team and data acquisition team to develop requirements for data collection.
- Support the Team Lead and promote a continuous learning culture within the team through proactive communication and constructive reviews.
This is a role where you will draw on your software engineering expertise, as you lead the efficient analysis of algorithm performance.
We value the breadth and depth of experience that our people bring to their work. We are seeking people with a good mix of technical competency and personal capability. Ideally, you possess commercial experience in software engineering, algorithm performance testing, data analysis and database development. Specifically, we are looking for people with:
- Tertiary qualifications in software engineering, systems engineering, computer science, data science or a similar quantitative discipline or equivalent industry experience.
- Software development experience developing software applications or test frameworks, preferably using Python.
- Demonstrable experience in algorithm or product testing, preferably in the Computer Vision domain.
- Demonstrable experience in quantitative methods of data analysis.
- Experience in database application development is beneficial.
- Possess exceptional problem-solving, analytical and critical thinking skills and very good attention to details.
- Proactive and able to work effectively in a team from diverse backgrounds and experience, respond cooperatively to the requirements of other team members, champion ideas and achieve consensus within the team.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to hold effective technical discussions with engineers.
How to apply
To apply, please upload your current resume and cover letter outlining your interest in the role and how you could make a difference at Seeing Machines.
Seeing Machines is a world leader in driver-machine interaction. We harness human factors science to create artificial intelligence (AI) technology that observes the driver's attention – reliably, unobtrusively, and in real time – and intervenes seamlessly when necessary.
Specialised computer vision algorithms underpin Seeing Machines' core camera-based driver monitoring technology. Algorithms allow us to precisely track eye gaze, head position and pupil size while our state-of-the-art AI technology analyses the data to quickly and accurately detect driver drowsiness, distraction and microsleep levels. We work with some of the world's leading brands to deliver this technology, helping keep drivers and operators engaged across commercial transport and logistics, automotive, aviation, rail and mining industries.
The WHY of our technology
• According to the World Health Organisation, over 1.3 million people die in road accidents, globally.
• The American Automobile Association says that 1 in every 10 auto accidents in the US is fatigue related and that 25% of US car accidents are caused by distraction.
• European Commission recommends that camera-based driver monitoring technology be mandated to enhance safety in cars, vans, trucks and buses from 2022.
• Air traffic is set to double over 15 years and the world's aviation fleet is set to double in 20 years. This creates a huge demand for more pilots and air traffic management which increases pressure on training and safety frameworks for the aviation industry, globally.
• Seeing Machines' Guardian technology for commercial fleets has been scientifically proven to reduce fatigue related driver events by more than 90%.